Practices of Looking

Monday, November 14, 2005

Steretotypes and Self Image - My views

Here are some of my own notes to go with the concept map that I posted the other day. These arent justified in any way, just what I think..

Stereotypes are often incurred by peer groups, which are often seen as an entry point for those who want to be in that group. e.g. To be known as a chav you need to be seen wearing the correct clothes, hairstyle and attitude for that stereotype.

This is the same way that I feel advertisers market their products, "You will look younger if you buy X product" or "you too could have a girl like the one in the advert if you purchase Y product" This is in an effort to persuade the consumer that they need this product, and when a consumer buys the advertised item they feel better about themselves for various reasons, "this will make me healthier" "This dress makes me look nicer" etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home